Today we released SOQL Studio 2022.1 and made it available for download on our site. This first major release of 2022 focuses on performance, usability and security. As with all of our releases, this one continues our commitment to providing regular enhancements and updates, which includes customer requests, fixes to SOQL Studio and staying current with Salesforce releases.
In this post, I’ll discuss some of the more significant items included in the release, but first here’s the complete list of the enhancements and fixes included:
- Improved query results rendering time.
- Added the option to present child query results in tabs rather than stacked, saving space and making the presentation of related records less cluttered when there are multiple child query results
- Improved presentation of child query results when in hierarchical view, stacked mode. The relationship label for the child query results now appears above the results rather than to the left, providing more horizontal space for the display of the child results
- Improved presentation of messages originating from Organization connections. This includes a new ‘Organizations’ view option to see all Organization-based messages in the Messages tool window plus messages from an editor’s connection will show when viewing messages for that editor
- Improved status icon handling in the Organizations tool window when a load/refresh fails
- Added scrolling to Explain results
- Updating column sizing modes to always extend the last column to the edge of the results grid
- (Security) Removed the display of Session Id from Organization properties
- Upgraded to API v54 (Spring ’22)
- Fixed an issue that interfered with mouse selection in the result grid’s column filter dialog
- Corrected the handling of query results that could cause the app to crash when a child select contains a polymorphic field that points to a parent but the query does not include the parent Id field itself
- Fixed an issue that could cause the app to crash when both the session and password have expired
- Resolved an issue that under certain circumstances would cause the app to crash during startup
The big news in this release is performance improvements and usability enhancements. We are always looking for opportunities to improve the performance of SOQL Studio. To that end, we addressed some sluggishness we noticed when opening and closing SOQL Editors and spent considerable time optimizing query performance. I’m not going to go into specific metrics because there are so many factors external to SOQL Studio that impact the amount of time a query takes, but I’m confident you will notice and appreciate the improvement.
On the usability front, we made improvements to the way the results of relationship queries are rendered in hierarchical mode. In previous versions, the relationship name appeared to the the left of the each child results grid. This change places the name above the child results grid, providing more horizontal space to display the results themselves:
New in the release is the option to present child query results in tabs:
Tabbed mode places each child results grid in its own tab, labeled with the relationship name, subordinate to the detail row that it applies to. Figure 1 and Figure 2 are the same query results presented in stacked mode (Figure 1) and tabbed mode (Figure 2). Tabbed mode utilizes much less screen real estate than the stacked view and can help you focus on the results that matter to you most. Stacked is the default mode, in keeping with the way SOQL Studio has historically presented child results. You can configure your preference for child results presentation in Options on the Editor tab.
One final change we made to results rendering is to extend the last column to the edge of the results grid. This applies to both parent and child results grids and resolves an issue where scroll bars are not rendered in a child grid that is too wide to be fully visible within the parent grid.
Current customers with an active maintenance contract are entitled to a free upgrade. Login to you account, go to Downloads & Licenses and click the “Request Upgrade” button. You’ll be emailed a new license for version 2022.1 and you can download the new package right from there.